Senior Network Engineer, Manchester/Glasgow or Home-Working/Flexible Working
Senior Network Engineer- Cisco CCNP level or working at this level: Manchester, Glasgow or Home-base/flexible working. We are recruiting for a Network Engineer with at least 5 years’ of commercial experience and of equal importance a thirst for knowledge and a demonstrable interest in personal development, for our client an innovative and fast-growing telecoms company who is at the forefront of modern communications. Working in a Cisco Meraki, Juniper, Palo Alto and Fortinet environment.
This is an extremely exciting opportunity where you will be working in a broad and technically challenging role responsible for managing network/firewall requests, which will include delivering High Level to Low Level Designs and supporting changes to the network. In addition to this, a proactive service delivery of continuous improvement will be required. You will have the chance to develop your technical skills in all the latest technology area, formally and informally.
This is a hands-on role for an experienced Network engineer working at 3rd level technical support, able to work as part of expanding an existing team. The main aspects of the role will be to provide engineering and operational support of Customer network and firewall infrastructure. Suitable candidates will have a proven background in configuring, supporting, and troubleshooting complex network/firewall architectures.
The role will involve working closely with the Projects and Delivery Teams to ensure that Customer Project deliverables are efficiently deployed into operation.
Technical skills required:
• Cisco CCNP accredited, or proven experience of working at this level
• Cisco (inc. Meraki), Juniper, Palo Alto, FortiNET
• Meraki MX/MS/MR deployment skills, including Dashboard and Licensing
• In-depth understanding of routing protocols, internal and external BGP, OSPF, EIGRP & RIP
• Familiar with common Internet protocols, e.g. SNMP, SMTP, ICMP
• Advanced knowledge of routers, switches, firewalls, Access Control Lists (ACLs)
• Detailed knowledge of core network routers and infrastructure
• Hands-on experience of IP / VOIP network design, implementation, and troubleshooting
• Hands-on Cisco exposure backed up with relevant Cisco accreditations
• Detailed understanding of Layer2 and Layer3 MPLS VPNs from the Core to Customer Edge (P / PE / CE) including VRFs
• A strong background in configuring firewalls for both Corporate and ISP services, to include: VPN Client and Site2Site IPSec Policies, Advanced DPI Policies for Internet Traffic and Centralised / Virtual Firewall Policies for VPN Customers
• Detailed understanding of all aspects of QoS (Traffic Shaping / Policing / Scheduling / Congestion Management and Avoidance). Specific experience with deploying QoS in a voice and / or converged environment would be advantageous
• Previous work on designing and delivering resilient solutions
• Proven experience of delivering solutions on Cloud compute such as Azure/AWS
• Proven experience of working with Virtual Machines.
Key Responsibilities and Requirements:
• To be expert and accountable for the delivery of design/change to Network/Firewall infrastructure
• Must be a self-starter, proactive, highly organized, and capable of working well with individuals at all levels in the organisation
• Good interpersonal, written, oral, and analytical skills, as well as being innovative and dedicated
• Working within a dedicated Team, provide 3rd line support to Network/firewall infrastructure
• Working Requests for Change and/or Design to existing infrastructure
• Involved in Design for changes to infrastructure
• Produce and deploy bespoke network/firewall solutions using a range of features and protocols
• Work with other departments to evaluate and provide technical appraisals of Hardware and Firmware upgrade paths linked to utilisation, features and EOL assets
• Consideration for capacity, monitoring, management and reporting on Network/Firewall utilisation
• Assess Vendor Advisory and Vulnerability notices and work with others to provide resolution
• A solid and working understanding of Network Protocols across both Juniper and Cisco networks
• Working practical knowledge of PCI compliance for security contracts.
Role Holder Key Attributes
• Highly IP literate
• Excellent communication skills in both written and verbal form
• Customer focused
• High attention to detail
• Ability to work under pressure and in a fast moving and changeable environment
• Self-motivated and very flexible with a “can do” attitude
• Skilled in task prioritisation
• Strong understanding and knowledge of Network Standards, protocols, and best practices
• 3-5 years design/operational experience (preferably within a SP environment).
Type of role: Permanent.
Location: Manchester or Glasgow or Home-based/flexible working
Salary: £45,000-£50,000 & 10% & training corporate benefits
Benefits: Pension scheme, life assurance, income protection, childcare vouchers and paid paternity leave, enhanced maternity / adoption payment and return to work bonus, numerous online discounts, eye care vouchers and Ride2Work scheme.
Contact: James Thompson: 020 8148 3797 [email protected]