Network System Administrator - Merseyside
Network System Administrator, Merseyside
Network Systems Administrator required for our client a leading Merseyside based maritime specialist communications company. Systems are designed, manufactured, installed and supported by the company. The core components of each system are determined by customers specific requirements and include their own PC based equipment and third party product consisting of navigation sensors and communications equipment (microwave and fibre optic etc.). We are recruiting for a Network System Administrator who will be involved from the system design stage through to support of our products and systems. The successful candidate will also manage the company network and peripheral devices, which is an important part of this role. Attendance at site installations will be necessary where required, some global travel.
- Provide system design input in key skill areas when necessary.
- Configure systems post manufacture, including software and networking.
- Conduct factory acceptance testing (FAT's).
- Attend installation sites to provide support during installation, commissioning.
- Solely responsible for managing the company network, and external connections to the internet and remote installation sites. Also backup management and disaster recovery.
- Set up and manage VPN's to company network for designated staff.
- Work with the company's ISP.
- Provide assistance to system support team when necessary
- Consider ways to improve collaboration between system users on the company network.
Skills and Experience
- Experience of Linux and Windows administration and networking with the emphasis on Linux as most of products are Linux
- Must have experience of Cisco networking switching, LAN/WAN build, implementation and management.
- Experience with communication systems, including fibre optics and microwave links
- Intranet and internet security knowledge required.
- Knowledge of databases, specifically Oracle
- Experience of working with virtual machines.
- A flexible approach to working hours, especially when working on site.
- A high degree of self motivation and very adaptable.
- Ability to learn quickly.
- Can work under pressure.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team or individually.
- The ability to use initiative and take a leading role when necessary.
- Must have BTEC Higher National Diploma with Merit or above or HND/Degree in computing/telecoms or engineering
Location: Commutable from: Liverpool, the Wirral, North Wales, Chester, Cheshire, Merseyside.
Role Type: Permanent
Posted date :