DevOps Senior Engineer, UK wide travel. Flexible home base
DevOps Senior Engineer, UK wide travel. Flexible home base.
As a Senior DevOps Engineer you will deliver both pre and post sales technical consultancy to our customers in the areas of DevOps methodologies and tooling incorporating container and cloud native technologies. As a predominantly customer facing role, you will need proven skills in a customer facing position, designing and implementing complex solutions to corporate or public sector organisations. This role is UK based, and will involve travel to internal offices and client sites across the United Kingdom.
You will be part of a Practice, within the UK Professional Services function, supporting the business in either project or consultancy led engagements.
• You will have clear areas of accountability and will be given appropriate autonomy to lead customer engagements as appropriate.
• Your primary function will be the technical design and delivery of solutions for our clients, but you will also need to engage in technical presales as required.
• You will also form part of a wider community of Consultants and will have the opportunity to actively contribute to initiatives either specifically aligned to team, community or wider Practice.
You will have sound generic, domain and specific knowledge necessary to perform effectively in the business and take action to develop own knowledge.
Your primary responsibility will be in the technical design and delivery of client solutions in the areas of DevOps, cloud and container native technologies.
• You will be responsible for influencing and shaping DevOps, cloud and container native solutions during pre-sales engagements by providing technical input. Often you will work in a supporting presales role alongside an Architect level colleague or as part of a larger presales team.
• Provide qualification of solutions approach and produce engagement documentation for internal and external consumption.
• Define solutions, technologies and standards to blueprint best practice within the technology tower.
• Design and implement solutions for customers consistently and with quality, using our methodologies and processes.
• Provide opportunity-specific Technical Assurance & Quality Assurance of pre and post sales consultancy engagements
• Produce high quality assignment documentation and assure deliverables produced by team members to ensure consistency and accuracy within a solution.
• Work as part of a team defining, designing and implementing solutions for our customers
• Attend customer meetings to present solutions from a technical and implementation approach
• Highlight any technical risks that may impact the success of the solution for our client
• Be a highly motivated self-starter and take responsibility for your continuous learning and development.
• Exercises substantial personal responsibility, autonomy & a clear framework of accountability.
• Plans own work to meet given objectives and processes.
• Interacts with and influences colleagues and has working level contact with customers, suppliers and partners.
• Lead others or make decisions which impact the work assigned to individuals or phases of projects.
• Understands and collaborates on the analysis of user/customer needs and represents this in their work.
• Performs a range of work, sometimes complex and non-routine, in a variety of environments.
• Applies methodical approach to issue definition and resolution.
• Has a sound generic and specialist knowledge necessary to perform effectively in the organisation typically gained from recognised bodies of knowledge and organisational information.
• Demonstrates effective application of knowledge.
• Has an appreciation of the wider business context.
• Takes action to develop own knowledge and represents this in their work.
• Communicates fluently, orally and in writing, and can present complex information to both technical and non-technical audiences.
• Plans, schedules and monitors work to meet time and quality targets.
• Facilitates collaboration between stakeholders who share common objectives.
• Selects appropriately from applicable standards, methods, tools and applications.
Fully understands the importance of security to own work and the operation of the organisation. Seeks specialist security knowledge or advice when required to support own work or work of immediate colleagues.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate expertise and real-world experience in a wide range of container native, cloud native and DevOps technologies and approaches. As this is primarily a delivery role the successful candidate must possess excellent hands-on skills and be able to demonstrate an analytical and methodical approach with great problem-solving skills.
You must have:
• Experience of working as part of a DevOps or DevSecOps team.
• Experience of working within Agile project frameworks like Scrum, Kanban or Lean Software Development.
• DevOps Tooling experience (Automation, Orchestration, CI/CD, Testing etc.)
• Container platform experience (Non-managed K8S Service or AKS, EKS, GKE etc.)
• Cloud platforms experience (AWS, Azure, GCP, VMware, OpenStack)
You should be able to demonstrate deep technical expertise and real-world experience in design, implementation and use of all of the following:
• A configuration management tool such as Ansible, Puppet, Chef or Saltstack
• At least one scripting language such as Python, PowerShell, Bash etc.
• A distributed version control system such as Git.
• A Linux distribution such as Red Hat Enterprise Linux, SuSE or Ubuntu.
• CI/CD tooling such as Jenkins, Spinnaker, CircleCI, Drone, Tekton, Azure Pipelines, AWS CodePipeline, Google Cloud Build or similar.
• Infrastructure as Code using tools such as Terraform, ARM, CloudFormations etc.
Hands-on experience in one or more of the following technologies would be considered advantageous:
• Kubernetes Installers / Distributions OpenShift, Rancher etc.
• Helm, Kubernetes Operator Framework
• Docker / Podman / Buildah
• Hashicorp Tooling such as Packer, Vault, Consul
• Any software defined network (NSX, Nuage, Tungsten, Calico, Open vSwitch)
• Any software defined storage (Swift, Minio, Ceph, Gluster, Rook, Longhorn)
• Proxies, service mesh or ingress controllers (e.g. F5, HAproxy, nginx, AVI, Traefik, Envoy, Istio, Linkerd)
• Observability (e.g. Prometheus, Google Stackdriver, AppDynamics, Fluentd, ELK/ELG stack)
• Secrets management (e.g. Vault, Keycloak, Conjur, CyberArk)
• Security & Compliance (e.g. Aqua, Clair, Anchore, Falco, OpenSCAP)
• Serverless frameworks (OpenFAAS, AWS Lambda, Azure Functions, Google Cloud Functions)
Salary – £70-75,000 + car allowance + corporate bens
Benefits include: Flexible home based working, 23 days holiday, increasing by 1 day for every year worked (to an additional 25 days), Private Medical Insurance, Health Care Plan, Pension, Personal MOT Health Assessment, Dental Insurance, Critical Illness, Life Assurance, Personal Accident Insurance, Travel Accounts, Kids Pass, Additional Annual Leave Purchase, Tax Free Childcare and Childcare Vouchers, Cycle to Work, Travel Insurance, Gym Membership, Share Save, My Car, My Car Cash, Eye Care Plan and Long Service Awards.
Location: Nationwide, UK Suitable if you live in London, Surrey, Berkshire, Hampshire, Sussex, Somerset, Gloucestershire, Wiltshire, Birmingham, Staffordshire Herefordshire, Worcestershire, Warwickshire, Northamptonshire, Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, Lincolnshire, Shropshire, Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle, Glasgow, Edinburgh.
Contact: [email protected] or 020 8148 3769 for a confidential discussion in the first instance.