Infrastructure Engineer – Linux required for our client, a dynamic & fast-growing contact centre/UC systems integrator.
This is a remote homebased role with travel.
The Infrastructure role has a strong focus on Solution wide Reliability Engineering to a diverse customer base across a number of sophisticated multi-channel contact centre solutions.
The role is varied from a technology and operation view, but the goals are clear. Ensure maximum available of applications, infrastructure and service across the hosted customer estates. This includes arranging and carrying out proactive maintenance, assisting with patching and Golden Releases of software. Monitoring and Automation is key, so the role includes monitoring systems and services and filling gaps if any are found by writing/proposing new checks or new tools and ensuring any repetitive tasks are automated, documented and standardised.
You will be key in identify trends and being responsible for stopping faults from happening through trend analysis and understanding the impact of the different services across the application suites. Feeding in and keeping the “runbook” up to date to ensure if there is an outage, service is restored as fast as possible through known documented processes.
The role encompasses general support and assistance with delivery by automating aspects of the build and reoccurring maintenance of the build/patching/updates/ on our hosted customers as well as internal lab systems
You will be involved in the post-mortem of all hosted customer incidents with a drive to try and move to premortem to stop issues from happening.
Someone proactive and enthusiastic with a passion to learn will excel in the role.
This a cross functional dynamic role that requires an individual who can demonstrate proficiency in multiple products and has a keen interest in working on the latest technologies across a varied daily workload
Main Duties & Accountabilities:
- Performs 2nd line technical support, performing analytical, problem solving, research, automation and testing activities to resolve/fulfil requests to meet resolution/workaround targets and maximum availability of environment
- Deploys and contributes to the design of automation/repetitive tasks around the company’s hosted infrastructure, liaising with deployment leads and through own continual improvement initiatives to maintain and continually improve efficiency, cost effectiveness and customer satisfaction
- Planning and completing proactive maintenance, security updates, and release management across Hosted and lab-based systems.
- Captures and analyses support requests from customers, colleagues and monitoring tools to accurately define, categorise and prioritise support requests
- Captures all activity as directed by process to measure departmental activity against operational targets
- Maintains a strong level of skills and knowledge through self-development to deliver the company’s support services, to remain at the ‘cutting edge’ of technologies currently supported, best practices and new streams of working, and to provide strategic input to support management on the performance of products and services
- Encourage and lead an environment of information learned about new and trending technologies with colleagues either informally or through knowledge transfer sessions
Required skills, experience & knowledge
- Previous experience in ongoing and proactive maintenance and automation of tasks.
- Experience with Linux system administration (RHEL/CENTOS preferred)
- Automation skills (Python / Puppet / Chef / Ansible / PowerShell / Cloudfoundation any preferred)
- Cloud Knowledge (Google / Microsoft / Amazon preferred)
- Experience of OS maintenance cycles (patching / policies / security / hardening)
- VMware vSphere virtualisation admin / powercli automation (esxi6 preferred)
- Understanding of Security standards and Security concerns/remediation practices
- Desire to be involved in new and emerging technologies
- Base technical knowledge and exposure of the Operating Systems and Databases
- Analytical mindset with logical and methodical approach to problem solving
- Excellent spoken and written English: able to explain issues clearly and in detail to senior external and internal technical resources, and senior external and internal business stakeholders to board level
- Good knowledge and understanding of ITIL specifically availability, capacity, problem, change and incident management processes
Desirable skills, experience & knowledge
- Previous exposure and solid capability in a 2nd line Support role within a demanding and customer focused environment – (supporting infrastructure /cloud / Linux preferred)
- Site Reliability Engineering concepts
- Cisco CCNA / Data Networking fundamentals (or similar data networking certifications and/or experience)
- Knowledge of SQL database administration/maintenance
- PowerShell / Powercli scripting for automation
- Automation tools (cloud foundation / terraform)
- General Programming concepts and basics CI/CD
- Monitoring Platforms (Nagios, nectar, cloudwatch)
- Knowledge of Cloud environments and services offered (AWS, Azure, Google)
- Linux Operating System (RHEL7, CENTOS7 preferable)
- Windows Server Operating System (Server 2012, 2016 preferable)
- Virtualisation Technology (VMware, XEN, KVM, preferable)
As this is a home based role with some travel, you can be based anywhere in the UK; Berkshire, Surrey, Hampshire, Bristol, Birmingham (Midlands), Manchester (North West), Scotland, Wales, Norwich, Newcastle (North East), Leeds (Yorkshire) etc.
Role Type: Permanent
Salary: £30k + £35k on call, bonus & company benefits
Please contact Clare Curran: 0161 929 7628 or email@example.com